In this lesson we will learn to draw hair, twisted upward. Here only standard Photoshop brushes were used.
There is no such secret with which you can easily draw beautiful hair. To achieve a good result we need practice, practice and more practice.
The whole point is to train your hair drawing technique. Drawing is an improvisation, not a repetition of lessons. Here are some tips for you, and then, mouse in the teeth and go!
1. Create a new layer. Round, medium-sized brush with a neutral base color, designate the basic forms of hair.
2. Glare and shadows are indicated by small variations of the same color. Large round, with soft edges, brush – coarse color transitions. Also at this stage, the author cleaned up the jagged edges with a small eraser.
3. Continue drawing and redrawing until you are completely satisfied with the result. Right now you show the individual strands and their location relative to each other.
The right balance of highlights and shadows is very important if you want to show the real hair texture. Depending on your drawing style and how far the object is located, if the step is done perfectly, you can stop right now. But if you paint a portrait where details are very important, it’s better to continue.
You may notice that the author has not yet painted fine hairs, only the strands are light on top of the dark ones. It is logical that if you want to draw amazing hair, then you need to label each hair … then the hair will not be different from real hair.
To make this stage of work easier for you to understand, the author took a regular photo of hair and blurred it with a filter. Details have disappeared. Now you can see only basic shapes and color relationships in the photo – what you should have at this stage.
4. With a small brush with soft edges, we will denote the shade of the strands more clearly – this will add volume to the hair. Lighter and saturated color will paint highlights. Again, we do not forget about the balance of chiaroscuro, so as not to disturb the three-dimensional look.
5. Now change the soft brush to the hard-edged brush to detail the hairstyle. Do not rush, otherwise spoil everything! If the direction / bend of the strands is wrong, it will spoil the whole impression of the pattern. For those who still do not understand the principle of the author made an animated hyphae, showing different layers.
Note that only 4 colors are used and none of them should be too dark or too light.
The final stage! In principle, this is simply a continuation of the fourth step; we simply draw individual small strands. Such small locks on the sides are very important for making hair realistic. It can also emphasize the character of the character. For example, if the hair is tightly pulled up, there are no strands that cover the eyes, the character will look strictly and severely, and if the hair is pulled loose, there are a lot of loose strands around, then the character’s image will be carefree.
Individual hairs can only be drawn at the final stage. These are like finishing touches. And on that note … voila! Hair! They are ready! Finish reading and go to draw!