In this tutorial we will try to create a menu in the style of 16-bit games.
Materials for the lesson:
1. Create a document
Open Photoshop and create a new document with a size of 254 x 117 pixels with a resolution of 72 dpi. We will work with this small file.
Let’s start with the background. Create a new document with a size of 10 x 10 pixels (72 dpi). Choose green shades (# daf5d2, # 8ca784 and # 748f6c, from light to dark).
Take Pencil tool (B) (Pencil) size of 1 pixel. We start with a light green from the center. We draw a square of 4 pixels and 2 pixels on each side (leave the corners open). Then in each corner with the other shades we draw diagonal lines of 3 and 4 pixels. We continue to work with the texture, guided by the screenshots below.
To save the pattern, go Edit – Define Pattern (Editing – Define the pattern), in the window that appears, enter the name and save the document. We return to the main document, activate Paint bucket tool (G) (Fill) and fill the created pattern with the document. You can close or save the original textured document.
2. Create a belt
1. Create a new layer (Ctrl + N) and take Pencil tool (B) (Pencil). We draw a diagonal line 20 pixels long and a new line perpendicular to the previous 11 pixels long (color # 6c0e04).
2. From the short line draw two new ones with a length of 3 pixels.
3. Connect the previous lines with a diagonal of 9 pixels.
4. Draw another diagonal. Draw a line with a length of 20 pixels parallel to the first diagonal.
1. We connect two long diagonal lines with a length of 7 pixels.
2. In the upper part of the belt we draw two parallel lines with a length of 3 pixels and 1 pixel each on the outer sides.
3. In the upper part we draw a diagonal with a length of 11 pixels.
4. To finish the buckle, draw 1 pixel at the ends of the line and connect them with a line 11 pixels long.
1. Finish the belt by drawing the last two diagonal lines.
2. Fill the belt in brown (# bb5f15) using Pencil tool (B) (Pencil) or Paint bucket tool (G) (Fill).
3. Do not forget to fill the center of the belt.
4. For buckle use yellow color (# fbc423).
1. Create a new layer. Light brown (# d67b1b) add glare with a thickness of 2-3 pixels.
2. Draw a dark brown shadow (# 9b3f0e).
3. Draw shadows / highlights on the second half of the belt.
4. Dark brown draw in the center of the belt. Color # c27b17 draw diagonal lines on the buckle, cream color (# f8dd92) add shadows. Merge layers with a belt in one (Ctrl + E).
3. Chain and paper
Let’s start with the circuit circuit. It will connect the belt and the menu.
1. Draw a line with a length of 2 pixels and on the sides of the diagonal lines of 2 pixels.
2. Connect the diagonal lines with a line length of 2 pixels and draw four vertical lines with a length of 3 pixels. We end with two diagonal lines of 2 pixels each, running from the edges to the center.
3. Draw a rectangle the size of 3 x 5 pixels. We leave the upper right corner empty and add one pixel to the lower left.
4. Repeat the basic link form created at the beginning.
5. Repeat steps 3-4 and create a chain of 8 links.
1. In the lower left part of the links draw shadows (# c27b17).
2. Fill the central area of links with yellow color (# fbc423).
3. Fill the remaining area with creamy yellow (# f8dd92).
4. For a menu on a new layer, draw a rectangle without upper corner pixels of 53 x 36 pixels. Place the lower end of the chain in the center of the upper part of the rectangle. The hole through which the 4 x 5 pixel circuit is attached.
5. Curved corner size of 6 x 6 pixels. Draw it and remove the extra pixels with Eraser tool (E) (Eraser) mode Pencil (Pencil).
1. Merge layers with paper and chain into one (Ctrl + E). Via Paint bucket tool (G) (Fill) fill the menu area with a light cream color (# fefbd8).
2. Draw shadows in darker color (# f8de93).
3. On the layers panel move the layer with the chain under the layer with the belt. The chain should, as it were, hang from the belt.
4. Menu items
On the new layer draw a pointer in the form of a hand.
1. With Pencil tool (B) (Pencil) draw a vertical line 7 pixels long (# 6c0e04).
2. Next, draw a horizontal upper line with a length of 13 pixels and a lower one with a length of 11 pixels. We connect them to vertical lines with a length of 7 pixels.
3. For the index finger, draw 2 pixels down and 4 pixels to the left. From the center of the previous line draw 3 pixels down.
4. Add 3 pixels to draw 2 more fingers.
5. For the thumb, draw a line with a length of 3 pixels and 1 pixel at the bottom corners.
6. And finally, add a shadow. The color for the shadow is the same as for the hand, only reducing the opacity to 50%. The inner part of the hand is filled with white.
Activate Type tool (T) (Text), select the Small Fonts Regular font (size 10 pt) and write menu items. Place your hand next to the inscription. Each word must be on a separate layer.
Copy (Ctrl + C) and paste (Ctrl + V) paper and chain slice, highlighting all this with Rectangular marquee tool (M) (Rectangular selection). Extend the central part of the paper by drawing or duplicating (Ctrl + C and Ctrl + V). The second menu is twice as long as the first.
5. Draw a heart
1. Create a new layer and draw a horizontal line 4 pixels long.
2. Then we draw a V-shaped figure of three pixels and add another line 4 pixels long.
3. Draw the sides of the diagonal lines of 2 pixels.
4. On the sides we add two vertical lines of 5 pixels each.
5. Draw diagonal lines with a length of 6 pixels directed to the center.
6. Connect the diagonal line of three pixels.
7. In dark red, draw the inner upper contour (# bb0708).
8. Circling the rest of the heart.
1. Fill the heart with light red (# fa0000) and outline the inner contour with another shade of red (# e10507).
2. Pale red on the left side of the heart draw a highlight (# fa6964).
3. To the right of the flare draw two circles of 4 pixels.
4. In white, add a few pixels in the center of the highlights.
6. Treasure Chest
To draw a chest, create a new layer.
1. Use a pencil to draw a vertical line 17 pixels long. Then at the top we draw 2 pixels, a little above 3 pixels, still above 19 pixels and again below 3 pixels and 2 pixels.
2. On the right side, draw a vertical line 17 pixels long. Connect the sides of the chest with a line length of 30 pixels. In the middle of the chest draw another line.
3. In the center of the chest we draw a lock from one horizontal line and two vertical lines with a length of 4 pixels. In the center of the castle we leave a line 2 pixels long.
4. Start adding color. Fill the lock in yellow (# 953608). The same color draw two lines with a thickness of 3 pixels. Brown (# bb5f15) draw a line in the center of the chest, missing the yellow pixels.
5. In the center of the wide yellow stripes, draw pale yellow pixels (# fbf348).
6. Draw a brown line at the bottom of the chest (# bb5f15). We finish drawing the castle by adding 4 pixels of golden color in the lower part and just below 6 more pixels of brown color.
1. Light brown color (# a84913) fill the chest using Paint bucket tool (G) (Fill).
2. Fill the sides too with light brown.
3. On the inner contour draw brown.
4. In brown (# a84913) draw vertical lines at the top of the chest. Then draw horizontal lines at the bottom.
5. In a light brown color (# fdaa74) we draw at the top of the chest.
6. Add a couple of light yellow pixels on the lock.
7. Draw an ax
Create a new layer.
1. In gray (# 5c5c5c) draw a line with a length of 3 pixels.
2. Draw a curve consisting of 5 pixels of visas, then 2 pixels down, 2 pixels to the right and 5 pixels to the right.
3. In gray (#afafaf) draw the lines in the shape of the letter G (5 x 3 pixels). Dark gray (# 333333) draw another curve (1 pixel, 3 pixels down, 1 pixel to the right, 1 pixel diagonally down).
4. From the corner of the L-shaped line draw a diagonal with a length of 4 pixels. We connect dark gray pixels with light one pixel diagonally and a horizontal line of 3 pixels.
5. Gray color at the top draw 1 pixel diagonally. Then light gray next to the previous pixel on the right side draw another pixel and downwards 2 pixels diagonally.
6. Fill the rest of the area with light gray (# d7d7d7).
7. For the pen, draw two rows of diagonal lines of 7 pixels (# 6c0e04). We paint highlights in white.
8. Continue to draw the pen light brown (# 93360b).
1. Fill the first part of the handle in brown (# 993511)
2. Fill the rest with light brown (# bb5f16). We continue the work on the right side of the ax. We draw 3 pixels up, 5 pixels to the right, 2 pixels below and to the right, 2 pixels down and another 5 pixels down. Dark gray draw 1 pixel diagonally, then 2 pixels up and 2 pixels to the left. Add 2 dark gray pixels on the grip.
3. In a light gray color, starting from the upper dark gray pixel on the handle, we draw 3 pixels up, 5 pixels to the right, 1 pixel diagonally down and 3 pixels down. Then we draw a diagonal line with a length of 4 pixels and three pixels passing along the outline of the handle.
4. Fill the remaining area with a light gray color from the previous step and add highlights.
5. At the top of the handle draw in gold, brown and yellow colors (these colors we used for the chest).
6. Create a knob at the bottom of the handle using different shades of gray.
8. Gold coin
Create a new layer and activate Pencil tool (B) (Pencil).
1. Draw a line with a length of 7 pixels.
2. On the sides of the line, draw 2 pixels each, then 1 pixel diagonally downwards and 2 pixels further down.
3. Draw the sides of the coin 6 pixels down and draw the bottom half (it is symmetrical to the top).
4. On the inner corners of the circle draw brown pixels (# bb6403).
5. Draw the inner circle with the same color. Each side consists of 5 pixels interconnected by two lines of 2 pixels each.
6. At the bottom of the inner circle, draw in brown (# 974000).
7. We start to fill the coin in gold color (# ffaa1b) and in the center draw a horizontal line of 3 pixels.
1. In the center of the coin, draw the letter G. We will have a 3-pixel line from the previous step. Use several shades of brown. On the sides of the main line we add two lines of 2 pixels in length, then on the left side we draw 4 pixels up and 2 more pixels up.
2. For the upper part of the letter G, draw a line 4 pixels long and 1 pixel down diagonally.
3. Draw the tail of the letter G with a length of 3 pixels. Add golden pixels.
4. Fill the center of the coin in light yellow color (# f9c325).
5. Using the same shade of yellow and bright yellow (# ffef51), fill the top of the coin.
6. With a cream color (# fff7b6) we paint highlights at the top of the coin.
Place the created icons on the second menu. Duplicate the hand-pointer and place it near the icon of the corresponding inscription on the first menu (in our case, Items corresponds to the chest icon).
Each counter must have the same base. Create a new layer.
1. Draw a long rectangle of brown color (we take the shade of brown used previously). Corner pixels are removed so that the rectangle is slightly rounded.
2. In each corner we draw squares of golden color 2 x 2 pixels.
3. Add one yellow pixel to each corner. Brown draw the inner rectangle. The distance between the outer and inner rectangles should be 1 pixel.
4. Fill the smaller rectangle with a light cream color (# fffcd3), using Paint bucket tool (G) (Fill).
5. Fill the frame with light brown (# c45d12).
6. In brown (# 9e3e14) add two pixels in each corner. From the inside of the smaller rectangle in yellow-brown color (# cfa984) add a line 1 pixel thick.
7. In brown (# 9e3e14) every 5-8 pixels add one pixel.
Duplicate the frame three times. For each counter, choose your level and fill each with the appropriate colors:
Red (# fe0211) for the heart.
Brown (# d47d1e) for the chest.
Gray (# b1b1b1) for the ax.
Golden (# ffc643) for the coin.
At each counter draw a highlight and shadow.
Red highlight: # ff6563; red shadow: # bd0704
Brown highlight: # f4912c; brown shadow: # f4912c
Gray highlight: # dee4e0; gray shadow: # 5c5a5d
Golden highlight: # ffe33a; golden shadow: # d87e06
That’s all. Try to create on the basis of the lesson something different and in a different color range.