In this tutorial you will learn another way to sharpen an image. With it you can increase the sharpness, for example, the outlines of the face, lips, eyes, make clearer contours of the face, without affecting the texture of the skin. It is also well suited for enhancing the sharpness of scanned photos during their restoration, since its use does not increase the graininess of the image.
1. Open the original image. Create a duplicate by pressing CTRL + J. First you need to create an edge mask. This can be done in several ways. I will give one of them. Open the panel Channels (Channels) and select the channel in which the image has maximum contrast.
In my case, this is the blue channel.
2. Create a duplicate of the selected channel by clicking on it with the right mouse button and selecting from the drop-down list Duplicate channel or dragging it onto the icon down on the panel.
3. Click on the duplicate channel to activate it, then select Filter – Stylization – Edge Selection (Filter – Stylize – Find edges).
4. Then invert the image by selecting Image – Correction – Inversion (Image – Adjustment – Invert) or by pressing CTRL + I.
5. To get rid of random pixels, select Image – Correction – Levels (Image – Adjustment – Levels) and set the black point with the corresponding pipette.
Take the black pipette and click on the black background.
6. Finally, you can correct the mask with a black brush with an opacity of 100%. Just paint unnecessary areas.
7. Next, it is necessary to slightly expand and soften the edge mask in order to obtain a qualitative effect of enhancing the sharpness in the final image. This can be done in several ways, I will describe three of them. Choose the one that you like best. I prefer to use all three.
First method: select Filter – Other – Maximum (Filters – Other – Maximum), set a small radius value (depending on the image resolution) and click OK.
Second way: select Filter – Noise – Median (Filter – Noise – Median), set a small radius value and click OK.
Third way: select Filter – Blur – Gaussian Blur (Filter – Blur – Gaussian Blur). Use a small radius value.
8. To select the edge mask, click the duplicate channel in the panel Channels (Channels) while holding down the CTRL key.
9. Press CTRL + ~ (this is where the letter yo) to activate all the channels and see the full color image. Then click on the eye icon on the duplicate channel to turn off its visibility, otherwise the image will be filled with a semi-transparent red color of the mask.
10. Press CTRL + H to turn off the “ant track” selection, as it makes it difficult to assess changes to the image.
11. Apply Filter – Sharpness – Unsharp Mask (Filter – Sharpen – Unsharp Mask). The settings will depend on the image resolution and the degree of sharpness needed. Set the required parameter values and click OK.
12. Deselect the mask by pressing CTRL + D. Remove the duplicate feed by dragging it to the trashcan icon at the bottom of the feeds panel.
I hope this method is useful to many. I did not invent the bicycle, it is known for a long time and is described in the books of famous masters of Photoshop. But not everyone likes to read books, the more often they are not written in all understandable language. I tried to explain everything more intelligibly. It turned out or not, to judge you.
I wish you creative success!